Suede shoes, with their soft and luxurious texture, are a favorite footwear choice for many. New Balance, known for its comfort and style, offers a range of suede shoes that are both fashionable and functional.
However, suede’s delicate nature makes it prone to staining and scuffing, which means knowing how to clean it properly is essential to keep it looking its best.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of cleaning New Balance suede shoes to ensure they stay fresh and stylish.
Before we dive into the cleaning process, it’s crucial to understand suede’s unique characteristics. Suede is a type of leather with a napped finish, created by sanding the inner layer of animal hide.
This results in a velvety texture that is susceptible to damage from water, stains, and scuffs, making it more challenging to clean compared to other materials.
Gathering the necessary supplies before you start cleaning your suede shoes is essential. Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Soft-bristle brush
- Suede eraser
- Suede protector spray
- White vinegar or suede cleaner
- Clean, dry cloths
Best shoe cleaner for sneakers
1. Jason Markk Shoe Cleaner
Introducing the Jason Markk Shoe Cleaner Essentials, the ultimate solution for keeping your shoes in top-notch condition. This premium shoe cleaner effectively cleans and conditions all types of materials, from leather to suede and nubuck.
It goes beyond cleaning by creating a protective barrier that repels liquids and stains, ensuring your shoes stay fresh.
The kit includes a quick wipe for easy stain removal and a brush for thorough cleaning: one for general use and another for delicate materials. Trust the Jason Markk Shoe Cleaner Essentials to revive your shoes and maintain their pristine appearance.
2. Pink Miracle Shoe Cleaner Kit
Discover the power of the original shoe cleaning system with the Pink Miracle Shoe Cleaner Kit. Trusted since 1985, this top-choice formula is perfect for sneakerheads and shoe enthusiasts alike.
The all-in-one shoe cleaner and conditioner features a safe concentrate that works on all washable materials, including leather, vinyl, suede, canvas, and more.
Just a few drops of this non-toxic solution go a long way, restoring your shoes to their former glory. With a free brush included, this made-in-the-USA shoe cleaner is a must-have for keeping your favorite footwear looking new and fresh.
- Start by ensuring your suede shoes are completely dry. Attempting to clean them when they are damp or wet can worsen the damage.
- Use a soft-bristle brush to gently remove dirt and debris from the surface. Brush in one direction to avoid damaging the nap.
Treating Stains and Scuffs
Suede shoes are prone to stains and scuffs, but you can effectively remove them with the right tools and techniques:
Suede Eraser: For stains and scuffs, gently rub a suede eraser over the affected area. This will help lift and erase the imperfections. Be sure to use light pressure to avoid damaging the suede.
Specific Stain Removal: Different types of stains require different treatments.
- For oil-based stains, apply cornstarch or talcum powder to the stain and let it sit for a few hours. Brush it away with the soft-bristle brush.
- For water stains, use a white vinegar solution (one part vinegar to one part water) on a cloth to gently dab the stain. Allow it to air dry.
Overall Cleaning Process
Now, let’s delve into the comprehensive cleaning process:
- Brush Away Dirt: Start by brushing away any remaining dirt or dust with the soft-bristle brush, paying attention to crevices and seams.
- Suede Eraser: Address any remaining stains or scuffs with the suede eraser as previously explained.
- Apply Suede Cleaner: If the suede shoes are still not looking their best, you can use a specialized suede cleaner or a mixture of white vinegar and water. Dampen a clean cloth with the solution and gently blot the affected areas. Avoid soaking the suede.
- Blot and Dry: After cleaning, blot the shoes with a clean, dry cloth to remove excess moisture. Then, let them air dry naturally. Never use direct heat sources like hairdryers or heaters, as they can damage the suede.
Drying Suede Shoes
Proper drying is crucial to maintain the shape and texture of suede shoes:
- Stuff the shoes with clean, dry paper towels or shoe trees to help them maintain their shape while drying.
- Allow the shoes to dry at room temperature, away from direct sunlight and heat sources. This may take several hours or even overnight.
To prevent future stains and extend the life of your New Balance suede shoes, it’s essential to use a suede protector spray:
- Once the shoes are clean and dry, apply a suede protector spray following the manufacturer’s instructions. This will create a protective barrier against water and stains.
Here are some additional tips to keep your New Balance suede shoes looking their best:
- Regularly brush your suede shoes to remove dirt and revive the nap.
- Avoid exposing suede shoes to water, as it can cause permanent damage.
- Store suede shoes in a cool, dry place, and use shoe trees to help them maintain their shape.
Cleaning New Balance suede shoes requires some care and attention, but with the right tools and techniques, you can keep them looking fresh and stylish for years to come.
Remember to always let them air dry, protect them with a suede spray, and follow these steps to address stains and scuffs.
With these tips, your New Balance suede shoes will continue to be a comfortable and fashionable choice for your footwear collection.