Sneakers have become an essential part of modern footwear fashion, and New Balance is a brand known for its comfort, style, and performance.
Over time, however, even the most meticulously cared-for sneakers can accumulate dirt, stains, and odors. The question arises: Can you put New Balance sneakers in the washing machine without damaging them?
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll delve into the intricacies of washing New Balance sneakers and provide step-by-step instructions to help you maintain the cleanliness and longevity of your beloved footwear.
Can I put new balance sneakers in the washing machine?
Yes, you can wash New Balance sneakers in the washing machine, but be cautious. Remove laces and insoles, place in a mesh bag, use gentle cycle with cold water, and mild detergent.
Air-dry away from direct heat. Some materials like leather or suede may need hand cleaning. Regular care extends their life.
Understanding New Balance Sneakers
Before we embark on the washing process, it’s crucial to understand the characteristics of New Balance sneakers. New Balance has built a reputable brand around comfort, quality, and innovation.
Their sneakers come in various styles, each crafted from distinct materials to cater to different activities and preferences.
Whether you have leather, suede, mesh, or knit New Balance sneakers, the washing process may vary, so it’s important to identify the type you own.
Factors to Consider Before Washing
Not all stains and sneakers are created equal. The first step in determining whether to wash your New Balance sneakers in a washing machine is to assess the condition of your sneakers.
Consider the type of stain, the materials your sneakers are made of, and any care instructions provided by New Balance.
While sneakers are designed for durability, certain materials and construction methods may not withstand the rigors of machine washing.
Preparing for Wash
Gearing up for the washing process involves gathering the necessary supplies and prepping your sneakers:
Mild Detergent: Opt for a gentle, color-safe detergent to prevent color fading and damage to materials.
Soft Bristle Brush: This will help you remove loose dirt and debris from your sneakers before washing.
Mesh Laundry Bag: Placing your sneakers in a mesh bag protects them from excessive agitation and prevents damage to the washing machine.
Washing New Balance Sneakers
Follow these steps to safely and effectively wash your New Balance sneakers in a washing machine:
- Choosing the Right Washing Settings: Use cold water and a delicate or gentle cycle to minimize stress on your sneakers.
- Adding Mild Detergent: Pour a small amount of mild detergent into the detergent compartment of the machine.
- Placing Sneakers in a Mesh Bag: Insert your sneakers into a mesh laundry bag to prevent them from banging against the machine’s drum.
- Starting the Washing Machine: Begin the wash cycle and allow the machine to complete its cycle.
Drying and Post-Wash Care
After the wash cycle is complete, it’s essential to handle your New Balance sneakers with care:
- Removing Sneakers from the Washing Machine: Take your sneakers out of the machine as soon as the cycle ends to prevent excess moisture from setting in.
- Air-Drying vs. Machine Drying: Air-drying is recommended to avoid potential shrinkage and deformation. Place your sneakers in a well-ventilated area, away from direct sunlight and heat sources.
- Reinserting Shoelaces and Insoles: Once your sneakers are dry, reattach the shoelaces and insoles carefully.
- Proper Storage: Store your sneakers in a cool, dry place to maintain their shape and prevent mold or mildew growth.
Potential Risks and Precautions
While machine washing can be effective, there are potential risks to be aware of:
Shrinkage and Deformation: High heat settings and aggressive washing cycles can lead to shrinkage and misshapen sneakers.
Damaging Adhesives and Glues: Excessive water and agitation can weaken adhesives and cause separation between sole components.
Color Fading and Bleeding: Harsh detergents and hot water may cause colors to fade or bleed, altering the appearance of your sneakers.
Cleaning Specific Types of New Balance Sneakers
Different materials require different care:
Leather or Suede Sneakers: Avoid machine washing these materials; opt for spot cleaning and gentle wiping instead.
Mesh or Knit Sneakers: Machine washing is generally suitable for these materials, but use caution to prevent stretching or damage.
Running or Athletic Sneakers: Extra care should be taken with sneakers designed for specific sports. Refer to New Balance’s care guidelines.
Tips for Maintaining Clean Sneakers
Regular maintenance is key to prolonging the life of your New Balance sneakers:
- Regular Maintenance Routine: Wipe down your sneakers after each wear to prevent dirt buildup.
- Sneaker Protectors and Sprays: Apply protectors or sprays to create a barrier against stains and moisture.
- Proper Storage: Keep your sneakers in their original box or on a shoe rack to maintain their shape and prevent unnecessary wear.
Addressing common queries:
Can I use bleach or harsh chemicals?
Ans: It’s best to avoid harsh chemicals, as they can damage materials and colors.
Can I use a washing machine with an agitator?
Ans: Agitators can be rough on sneakers; opt for a machine with a central agitator or use a mesh bag.
How often should I clean my New Balance sneakers?
Ans: Cleaning frequency depends on usage; generally, a monthly cleaning is sufficient for casual wear.
While New Balance sneakers can indeed be washed in a machine, careful consideration of factors such as material and stains is crucial.
Following our comprehensive guide will help you maintain the cleanliness and durability of your New Balance sneakers, ensuring they stay as comfortable and stylish as the day you bought them.
By combining proper washing techniques with regular maintenance, you can enjoy your favorite sneakers for years to come.